Monday, January 31, 2011

Converting wood mounted stamps...one set done a bunch to go!


I think I mentioned in a previous post that I used to be a Stampin' Up! Demonstrator many, many years ago.  Therefore, I have two huge containers full of wood mounted stamps!  Over the years I sold some on eBay but kept the ones I really thought I would use again.  Since my discovery of blogong, I have re-discovered my stamps.  I visited My Pink Stamper's web site and found her post on how to unmount wood mounted stamps.  I must say, I was a bit apprehensive because I didn't want to damage the stamps.

We have a local craft store here in the Cleveland area called Pat Catans and I came across this kit to convert my stamps.  The kit comes with 4 CD type storage cases, 8 cling sheets (the adhesive to put on your stamp) and 8 sheets to storage cards (the cards the stamps stick to when not being used.)  I think this kit cost me about $5.00.  The name of the kit is called "See-D's Mounting System Kit".


See-D's kit
Up close

The process was fairly simple.  I put the stamp in the microwave for about 30 seconds and peeled off the stamp from the wood block.  There is a cushion between the rubber stamp and the wood; I removed this also (recommended).  I applied the cling to the back of the rubber stamp, trimmed the excess cling and rubber and placed on storage card.  The pictures below show the difference in the amount of space the old set took compared to the small space needed by the converted stamps.  The case holds two storage cards so depending on the number of stamps in your set, one can potential store two full sets of stamps or multiple loose stamps.

Original Clownin' Around SU! Set case

Converted set
If you've contemplated make the switch, I highly recommend it.  I have so many more to work on. I'll do them as I use the sets.  The big questions is what do I do with all these little blocks of wood???? Any suggestions, leave me a comment.


TTFN, Scrappymama Elaine

No comments:

Post a Comment